Saturday, July 26, 2008

Katie

      Katie


          I opened my wallet the other day

          and found your photograph inside

          the innermost pocket.

          You, with your very-red lips

          And eyes that want to play

          at Discover

          I cannot believe you died.

          I cannot believe

          You left, without us being friends again.



          Though, I hope you know

          That as you lay in your coma-bed

          I was with you.

          … by your side…

          Whispering to you

          And gently stroking your head.

        I cannot believe

          Someone hurt you like they said in the papers

          That you were left, bruised and battered

          In a bath

          And how you were tied up

          And burnt with cigarettes

          Who would want to hurt that face

          That was so open to crying

          How could they let you walk free

          Knowing you were dying.

          Your mother tells me

          You listened to Riverdance in your last few days…

          .. because it was the only thing

          that didn’t hurt your head…

          And then,

          a few days later

          You would give up your weekend fight

          And lie dead.

          I came to you, and told you, you could go

          …I hope you know ?

          And, lit a candle and asked you to visit me

          I think you did

          The candle flickered and was extinguished

          and the window wasn’t even open.

          I folded myself up

          Behind a closed door

          I didn’t know

          My mother told me on the phone.

          I was waiting all weekend long for news of your recovery

          And she said

          “Oh…She died…. She never made it”

                  There is a coldness a human can feel

          Like you are empty

          And have stones in your feet

          And someone is digging in your stomach

          Katie,

          There are still tapes here of Love-words

          You spoke to me

          Do I save them, or give them to

          Your parents to hear

          Could they bring you back

                Or when I play them,

                At least

                  near..?

        And

          Most beautiful of all

          is the message you left on

          the back of this photograph in my wallet

          “To my Darling Neil

          All my fondest Love

            and tender care for evermore.”

          Which I don’t deserve…

          How could they hurt you

?

        was it meant to be

was it all planned on a soul-level

      by everyone involved

including me

          since you were gone, nothing has been the same.

I just hope

          You left in Peace, not pain.

          Everyone at school, was devastated

          And it was destroying to see

          that the girl who bullied you the most

          who you were supposed to not get

          along with at all

          Was uncontrollable with grief

          That, sitting in black clothes somehow didn’t

          do you justice

          but the funny poem your parents chose for me to read

              did

                      You mother wore a bright purple scarf,

          Did you see ?

          It was beautiful !

          Like you

          I know,

          how much pain can fill a church chapel

          How hard it is to carry on in life

          without knowing

          ‘why’

          And watch a coffin carrying your friend

          And having to say

          Goodbye.

          Did you know you were Loved

          Because you were

          And you are

          Wherever you are now

        know that.

          You told me something that has remained with me

          Ever since

          “Love Life. Otherwise it’s just a whole pointless waste of time”.

          And I told you something

          and everyone else in the church that day

          who was hurting inside

          “Someone once said…

            For someone to die completely

          they need to forget, or be forgotten.

          Katie will never be forgotten

Therefore, she has not died”.

No comments: