Saturday, January 3, 2009

untied knots

I spelunked into your pit
in the dark
and you winced, hurting you said
from the brightness of my gaze
intrigued by the candle burning bright
and in awe of the electric flashlight
I aimed straight at your chest

you could feel the beam piercing you
you said
you’d lived there many years, undisturbed
by choice; instead
you wanted nothing more than to be left in peace
away from prying eyes and crying lies
- and I grabbed my rope
offered my hand
and climbed back out

and made sure I left, by universal accident
the flashlight
at the foot of your bed
sharing at you
shining on you, by design?
in the hopes you’d wake before the battery snuffed
and follow the ladder up I’d left
dangling there

did the batteries die
or did I not tie the rope
tight enough?

No comments: