Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ventura Pier

remember it?
of course you do.

someone else remembered
the girl who I guess left us there
a balloon tied to the bench

a passing cyclist cut the tag
and read the verse, left for her

we though it strange

you showed me the cracks in the wood
and the water lapping beneath
and the walls we'd built previously
cracked too, and your heart lapped
my shore, or was it my neck
I felt it pounding in both.

we didn't walk all the way
we didn't need to.

remember it?
we don't need to go all the way
we already have
and now, we'll take our time
under Ventura Sun, to walk idly
with all the time in the world
taking it slowly
savoring the scent of sea-salt
and deciding it's time to go back to the car
because it's chilly,
and time for a hug.

maybe one day we'll reach the end of
the Ventura Pier
but maybe it doesn't matter
my memory of you floats on the water
that covers all shores
lapping all piers I dive from
when my heart joins yours.

No comments: